tunia
After several unsuccessful attempts at trying to write a post about things in specific, I shall resort to penning arbitrary even incomplete thoughts. Please bear with me I just have to write!

I make it a point to watch the movie after having read the book. Never have I found a movie doing justice to its text counterpart. It must be really frustrating for the author. Since, what one has watched is bound to carry a deeper impression than what one has read. I'm reading "The Zahir" by Paulo Coelho. He apparently does not approve of movies of books being made either.
'I believe that each reader creates his own film inside his head, gives faces to the characters, constructs every scene, hears the voices, smells the smells. And that is why whenever a reader goes to see a film based on a novel that he likes, he leaves feeling disappointed, saying " The book is so much better than the film."‘

I read "The Namesake" a while back and watched the movie. Not cause I do not trust my imagination but cause I was curious to see another person's interpretations of the various scenes that I had so tastefully created in my mind. Never the less, I was disappointed. The only segment that stuck to me was a song from the movie. That, I had not fashioned in my personal movie version of the book!
When I read a book or watch a movie, I am usually not affected by it. I cannot stop myself from contemplating about what I read (or watched) though. In "The Zahir" his (the author's) wife believes that no one is really happy. They are either pretending to be. Or dodge from answering the question. She shifts to a war zone for she believes that it is the only place where people are close to being happy since they are the ones who truly value life. They do not have the privilege of being sad since they know that what they have this moment could all be gone in the very next instant.

I am not happy. Not to say that I am sad. I am just not happy (not happy is not equal to unhappy). Given that I have no reason to be sad; life is normal, I'm doing fine in college, I've got a job, I intend to study further I should be. But, I am not. I am quieter than usual, my demeanor suggests that I am calm but my mind is restive. I'm looking for something, what I do not know. I get the feeling that maybe this is where I search for the purpose of my life. I do not believe that I have one sole purpose. Though, I should be doing something, which is more meaningful. What bother’s me is that I am not driven towards anything in particular. Every action, every movement seems mechanical.

I have to apply to universities by the end of this month. Finally made the first draft of my SoP (statement of purpose). Have lots more to do. I'm progressing fine.

I had been searching for a song over the net (the same one I saw in "The Namesake", the movie!) A very old friend managed to retrieve it and gifted it to me for my birthday. Felt good!

Snapshots Courtesy: Urjit.
.
caboodle mix :: , , , , edit post
11 Responses
  1. sjmach Says:

    Its amusing that your are not happy and at the same time not sad.
    Take care...........


  2. Sandi Says:

    So glad you're posting again. I agree with you about the disconnect between a book and movie. The book almost always wins out. I also prefer to read the book first - but sometimes that must the movie two hours of wasted time.


  3. tunia Says:

    sandeep> I'm restless. Dont know why. Maybe cause this is a point of my life, where I take decisions regarding my future. Could turn 180' if I took a wrong step.

    sandi> I tried many times, but could never complete it. Lets hope I'm able to write more ogten now.
    Though, I do follow yours quite frequently.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    U're makin me famous!!! :) neva knew they'd b featured here!! as for the post, there are a certain thoughts that did the rounds in my mind..might tell u later abt em..have a good week ahead, may you find happiness from the finer (often smaller) aspects of life..i dunno if its the same for a majority but when i look back, there are smaller things that remain as 'fond memories' or happy times..


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Hey You! I got your message :) Good to see that you are posting again... :)

    Have you figured out what makes you happy?


  6. Paula Says:

    Dear Ira,

    Paulo Coelho got wind of your blog through aart hilal and wants to post this article on his blog.
    Paulo Coelho's blog
    In case you have any restrictions, do not hesitate to write me on my email : paulabraconnot@gmail.com
    Have a wonderful day!
    And here's a quote to ponder:
    "Life always waits for some crisis to occur
    before revealing itself at its most brilliant." Paulo Coelho
    Paula


  7. tunia Says:

    Urjit> lol! the snaps are great. I loved them. I'd decided to post em right from the moment i saw em..
    I agree with you about the finding happiness in little things.

    Sam>Yeah.. I'm glad I'm at it again!! :) whats up at your end? I do read yours regularly..


  8. Shweta Says:

    Read "the fountainhead" by Ayn Rand, and then watch the movie, they r integrity defined


  9. tunia Says:

    dagny> I got to read it first! :)


  10. Anonymous Says:

    Dear One,
    Read about you and how do you view your own personality.
    Restless person, as you are, is the most passionate person on this planet since they strive for creativity. Try to find something creative you can do. Restless people cannot become parasite who feed on others' mind and the day you realise this that you should become a mind which feeds parasites you will feel satisfied with your life and every time you will be restless for all round growth.
    Best Wishes,
    Shishir


  11. tunia Says:

    http://paulocoelhoblog.com/2007/10/26/chance/